The Director supports the Commissioners in their actions and deliberations. As the chairman of the management team (MT), the Director is responsible for formulating the policy plan that will be established by the Commissioners. The Director is responsible for (monitoring) the implementation of the policy plan and actively reporting on it to the Commissioners.
The Director is ultimately responsible for efficient and effective management within the context of the mandate given by the Minister of Justice and the Chairman of the Dutch DPA. The Director is responsible for institutional questions such as civil agreements, mandate schemes and joint ventures with other organisations. He takes action in this regard in close consultation with the Chairman of the Dutch DPA and the Administration of Justice Strategy Department (DSR) of the Ministry of Justice. The Director acts as the Head of the service and the competent authority for the staff of the Dutch DPA.
The Director is Mr. P.J.J. Frencken
The supervisory departments support the respective Commissioners responsible for the supervisory activities. The supervisory domain is divided between two departments and focuses on the following areas:
Private Sector Supervision:
1. The business community
2. International data traffic
5. Social Security
The Head of the department is Mr. U. Oelen, LL.M.
Public Sector Supervision:
1. Public administration
2. Police and justice
3. Health Care
The Head of the department is Mr. A. Commandeur, LL.M.
The international section enables the Dutch DPA to carry out its international tasks.
At the present time, the section falls under the control of the Director.
Legal Affairs Department
The Legal Affairs Department advises the Commissioners on the legal feasibility of planned interventions, is responsible for implementing sanctions and handles reviews, objections, appeals and complaints arising from the activities of the supervisory departments and the Communication Department.
This department has the following primary tasks:
• Enforcement and sanctions: enforcement powers (formulating policy, advising and supporting); preliminary phase and imposing sanctions; reporting / contact with the Public Prosecution Service and enforcement policy.
• Legal protection: reviews, objections, legal actions and complaints about the Dutch DPA.
• Advising the Director with regard to institutional questions: including civil agreements and liability, formulating policy regulations and mandate scheme, advice about collaboration with other organisations.
• Internal consultancy: privacy law and General Administrative Law Act (Awb).
The Head of the Legal Affairs Department is Ms. H.J. Koning, LL.M.
The Communication Department advises and supports the Commissioners, the supervisory departments and the Legal Affairs department with external communication. Furthermore, the Communication Department is responsible for internal communication and a knowledge centre.
The Communication Department is responsible for:
• Developing and implementing communication policy
• External communication
• Supporting the Commissioners with external contacts and publications
• Briefing the press, press contacts and public affairs
• Internal communication
• A knowledge centre
• Opinion poll
The Head of the Communication Department is Mrs. K. Verhaar, MA.
Operational Management Department
This department is currently being developed. The Operational Management Department supports the Board of Commissioners, the Director and the other departments of the Dutch DPA.
This department currently has the following divisions:
• Secretariat of the Commissioners
• Information management
• Operations office
• Automation and computerisation
The Acting Head of the Operational Management Department is Mr. P.J.J. Frencken.